[GEM-dev] call for compilations

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Jan 5 22:47:22 CET 2004

tigital at mac.com wrote:
> hi IOhannes,
>
> ...I haven't had the time to check your latest cvs additions, but I do
> have some lingering questions regarding how [gemmouse] and [gemkeyboard]
> work, so that I can get them working on OSX...It appears on both linux
> and windows, some kind of event callback is installed during gem window
> creation; but I don't see how/where this is getting hooked into the
> various callbacks for mouse and keyboard input?  Could you elaborate on
> what's going on here?

well, it is hard to see, as it is spread over various files different
for various platforms.

basically this means:
Windows: all the magic is done at window-creation-time in GemWinCreateNT.cpp
the function craeteGemWindow() specifies the even-handler MainWndProc()
(i guess) this is a callback from the OS

X: unfortunately the X-code is hidden in GemMan.cpp, in the function
dispatchGemWindowMessages() (of which there are 3 versions, one for each
os - urgh!)
so we do not rely on a callback here but rather poll the event-queue.

>  Once I get this done, then I'll say "let's
> release"!  Otherwise, it's just not finished...
right, i just thought it would be good to feel some pressure again ;-)

> thanx,
> jamie

mfg.as.dr