[GEM-dev] gemcvs pix_texture: not using client storage??

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Jan 12 18:51:51 CET 2004

ben at ekran.org wrote:
> Hey Jamie,

> For a tech question, does pix_snap copy the buffer into main memory and
> then back to the card, or is all the copying done on the gfx card memory?
> I ask because I imagine putting it all on the gfx card would be very very
> nice performance wise. (on windows I can run the feedback patch at
> 128x128 at 30fps on linux I can do 512x512 at 60fps, same patch, same machine,
> go figure. ;)

well [pix_snap] really copies the buffer from the gfx-card to the
main-memory and back-again.
this is fine if you want to do some image-processing.

if you don't need it, you can use [pix_snap2tex] which keeps the snapped
buffer on the gfx-card.
(and indeed: you don't need the "mode 0"-message to make your patch work
then)

btw: very beautiful

mfg.asd.r