[GEM-dev] gemcvs pix_texture: not using client storage??

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Jan 13 15:18:52 CET 2004

ben at ekran.org wrote:
>>On Jan 12, 2004, at 12:48 PM, <ben at ekran.org> wrote:
>>

> Ah I understand now, Thanks Chris for taking the time to explain it. Now
> it makes sense. Would we alias one mode for one texture and the other mode
> for another? pix_texture as 2^x and pix_texture_rect as rectangular
> textures? Or a method selector for pix_texture could be "rect 1/0" I
> suppose part of the root of this is that it should be stated in the
> pix_source helpfile if the output is rect or 2^x .

in former days we had [pix_texture] (for 2^n-sized pixes) and
[pix_texture2] (for non-2^n-sized pixes)
however, in terms of usability, we decided to merge this into one object
[pix_texture] which would texture all images.

this is meant to be totally transparent to the user (but unfortunately
is not)

 > Only pix_film pix_video output rect textures curretly is this correct?
no, you could load an image ([pix_image]) with non-2^n-dimensions.

> This sounds like the best long-term solution to me, I've had a few
> headaches with black areas using non 2^x textures.

of course

> Right on on linux it
> seems that if the texture is 2^x then those pixels are dropped into a 2^x
> frame that coveres the whole texture, leaving black, or when switching
> between 2^x and non 2^x remnants of the last texture... :(

this is only half of the truth.
if you have a geforce-card and have installed nvidia's openGL-headers
(copy them from /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/include/GL (on my
debian-system) to /usr/include/GL) and recompile Gem, you have native
rectangle-texturing too. (with all the problems like in osX)
however, i believe few people (but me ;-)) do so...

mfg.asdr