[GEM-dev] gemmouse outlets question

tigital at mac.com tigital at mac.com
Wed Jan 21 16:29:06 CET 2004

hey ben,

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 09:39  AM, ben at ekran.org wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> How about making a new object (with the new functionality) as Johannes
> suggests, but rather than including the old version, include an
> abstraction which mimics the old behavior. Mark the abstraction as
> depreciated and then discontinue it's distribution.

...I think this is a great idea, because it's the best of both worlds:
I could make the new object gem_mouse, and the abstraction will be
gemmouse...

> I'm very happy about the prospect of multiple render windows, perhaps
> even
> one GL window for interface and the other for output.. (or previews,
> you
> name it)

...It's not clear atm how we would do this on osx...at any rate, I
don't think this is something we should talk about until after the
current release "attempt" ;-)  I've got way too much on my plate in the
short term, and am barely getting time to finish up the gem_mouse and
gemkeyboard...

> Jamie, thanks for the work with the tcl.tk8.5 is certainly huge steps
> ahead! There are a couple issues though, lots of render errors
> (improperly
> renders objects), and the performance is certainly better, but the
> 1.25Ghz
> machine still moves GOPS more slowly than windows on the 800Mhz. (Its
> about the same on linux.) I'm sure this would be better if I left in
> the
> priority hack, but that make PD close to useless!

...hmmm, I haven't been able to try out your "render objects" errors:
I doubt that's coming from tcl/tk, tho...the GOP slowness is definitely
a bother, but also definitely related to XCopyArea(), which has not
been converted/updated to CG, and is the MAJOR bottleneck in tk
drawing, at least atm...fixing that is next on my agenda after the
current gem/pd stuff I'm doing, so hold on...

> Also I'm getting segfaults in OSX with pd/gem I'll send a crashlog
> once I
> accumulate one. Anyone have a shortcut so that I can always run pd
> (with
> flags) in gdb from a script/alias? rather than:

...sorry, I've just been using project builder...disturbing about what
you've found with some crash between pd and gem...we should check that
out closely...

l8r,
jamie