[GEM-dev] cvs update for osx'ers!

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Tue Mar 23 00:08:18 CET 2004

hey gang,

...finally got around to figuring out a bunch of stuff:

[gemkeyname] now works correctly (at least on my american laptop
keyboard); however, the cross-platform warning still holds (but I'd
hope the pushing the 'a' key on any english language keyboard should
work on all platforms)

[gemwin] finally accepts a "title" for the border/titlebar (if there is
one):  this may also help with some crashes chris has been seeing with
numerous create/destroys (the string is explicitly "cfrelease'd")

[gemwin] finally responds to the border message (which turns on/off the
title bar):  this is a possible solution to the fullscreen problem on
10.3.x, but I haven't tested it, and won't be able to until later
tonight (going to a peter bogdanovich lecture!)...anyway, the idea
would be to use the offset message to create a window at "mainscreen
xsize + 1", so if your desktop is usually 1152x768 (like my tiBook),
then do something like [offset 1153 0<...

...of course, this does have a ton of caveats (atm), but most can be
handled via the system preferences "Displays" panel...

- it won't hide the menu bar, but that can be moved to the screen you
don't have as external
- it won't change the display's resolution, so you need to do this
manually (ie.  if you want a 640x480 fullscreen window on the external
monitor, make sure you change the external monitor to 640x480 in the
display panel, then create a borderless window of size 640x480)
- displays don't always have to be on the "right" of the desktop:  they
can actually be anywhere "around" the desktop, so make sure you
position is where you think it should be (I usually keep it attached to
the "right" side of the desktop)

...ok,  get it a try!
jamie

ps:  btw, I really like how some of the new help/example patches are
shaping up!