[GEM-dev] rc3 thoughts

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Tue Apr 6 19:37:00 CEST 2004

...can't believe we're finally really so close...

...that is, until I start looking closely at some things that were on
my plate:

-  I don't like [camera] in it's current form, because it doesn't do
what it should!  ATM, it's just a kind of substitute for changing
GemMan::m_lookat[] variables, which just use the gluLookAt()
function...sure, this is an ok way to have a camera that "looks at" a
particular point in a scene, but this doesn't seem to be the correct
way to do a true "free-floating" camera, which would allow flythroughs
and such (as of now, if you "fly-thru", you always remain anchored to
the original point)...looking back on this, I remember getting stuck
with the gluLookAt() method, because it's so integral in the gemchain
:-( ...anyone have other ideas?

-  pix_objects that don't have the ability to deal with a certain pixel
format just return "pix object cannot handle *", which isn't very
informative:  what if someone has many pix's, but only one isn't
supporting the needed pixel format?  I know, I'm mostly to blame here,
because many of these objects were included by me, but until I (or
someone else) has time to add a YUV path, shouldn't there be a better
way of telling the user why the object is working correctly?

- I'm really starting to be against naming this "0.888":  we've worked
on this for too long and added too much to have some arbitrarily
minimal jump from 0.87:  now that we've got feature parity (excepting
the above mentioned), surely we're at v1.0?

...back to work...

jamie