[GEM-dev] rc3 thoughts

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 7 11:19:51 CEST 2004

Zitiere James Tittle II <tigital at mac.com>:

> ...can't believe we're finally really so close...
>
> ...that is, until I start looking closely at some things that were on
> my plate:
>
> -  I don't like [camera] in it's current form, because it doesn't do
> what it should!  ATM, it's just a kind of substitute for changing
> GemMan::m_lookat[] variables, which just use the gluLookAt()
> function...sure, this is an ok way to have a camera that "looks at" a
> particular point in a scene, but this doesn't seem to be the correct
> way to do a true "free-floating" camera, which would allow flythroughs
>
> and such (as of now, if you "fly-thru", you always remain anchored to
> the original point)...looking back on this, I remember getting stuck
> with the gluLookAt() method, because it's so integral in the gemchain
> :-( ...anyone have other ideas?

i don't undestand the exact problem.
glLookat can handle original points: you can realize a "fly-thru" with
"view"-messages (although i admit that it is rather nasty that you have to do
everything by hand, instead of simple "roll"ing etc.)

> -  pix_objects that don't have the ability to deal with a certain pixel
>
> format just return "pix object cannot handle *", which isn't very
> informative:  what if someone has many pix's, but only one isn't
> supporting the needed pixel format?

indeed i have always wanted the objects to know their own name.
since you requested it, i have checked it into the CVS now:
so the error now is more like "pix object [pix_alpha] cannot handle YUV".
but of course, still the user has no clue about what could be done on their side
to fix this.

> - I'm really starting to be against naming this "0.888":  we've worked
>
> the above mentioned), surely we're at v1.0?

well, as i have said before, i am afraid of "1.0"
anyhow, if all (or most) of the developers prefer v1.0 then we should just make it.
so chris, daniel, günter ?

mfg.aser