[GEM-dev] Next week?

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed May 19 14:57:36 CEST 2004

On May 19, 2004, at 1:44 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> i think it was me.
> but i have no idea, what object you are talking about (or are you
> talking about 8 unlabeled inlets in all the objects together ? would
> be a great example of a good user interface, with some minor
> inconsitencies...)

I got some clarification on this, and it's pix_kaleidoscope which has
all those inlets.  I think most objects have gone to sending messages
to the left inlet anyway, and that's just fine.  I've never liked the
way Pd handles object sizing and multiple inlets anyway.

> i do think that most (if not all) inlets are explained in the
> help-patches but i might be wrong here (damned, 2 days ago i walked
> through all of the help-patches to see whether they do work on a
> windos-machine with a crappy graphics card; it took hours - and i have
> to admit, it becomes rather boring after 30 minutes and my
> concentration went away)

I did the same thing on a G5 and my AMD box this weekend.  I threw some
pmpd into the mix for entertainment.  I still laugh at the 'hollywood
explosion' patch.

> PS: Gem completely froze my laptop under w2k (under linux it works
> fine) - i was almost panicking before i noticed that each single
> openGL-application makes a total freeze; and on other machines my
> win-build works, so i am kind of ready

0888-r2 runs ok on my win2k box, although can you double check the
compilation settings?  A few things like pix_biquad ran slower than I
would have expected them too, and maybe the optimization settings
aren't maxed out.

If Jamie has checked in the final halftone code then I think it's ready
to go.  We should work up some release notes while waiting for the
builds.

Also, I'm just going to post a G3, G4 and G5 build on my page and you
can either link to it from IEM or copy them to the local server.  My
server is on multiple 100 Mbit lines off the main backbone in the
midwest so there is no problem handling the load.

cgc