[GEM-dev] off to new shores...

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Jun 18 18:15:44 CEST 2004

Hey all,

I've got 0.90 on the powerbook and quite happy. I am (unfortunately) getting
crashes, but it requires quite a bit more investigation. I can't figure out how
to reproduce it, but still happens often. It is certainly related to creating
the gemwin the second time... I'll send more info when I can figure it out.

As for feature requests I've got two big ones:

1. Support for loading video clips and still images with alpha channels intact!
    (PNG loader for stills, no idea what video formats contain alpha channels?)
    pix_mask is not so important per-se as long as one can actually use graphics
    with alpha channels. I've only even used pix_mask for loading images with
    custom-made masks. Mind you using the RGB channels of one video stream as the
    alpha of another stream could be very interesting. The most obvious example
    of this I can think of is using nice pre-rendered Gaussian blurred
    drop-shadows that still work no matter what is behind them.

2. I've made a little test of using the gem-win as an interactive interface
    surface. Each object calculates its own bounds, taking into consideration
    position and scaling. Then I convert the pixel coords of the mouse to
    gemcoords and each object tests if the mouse is on it and then acts
    accordingly. I've got scale-up rollovers and drag and drop stuff working.
    This is really ugly though, so I propose an object that returns the bounds
    (in gem units) in 3D no matter what scaling and rotation objects may be
    present to mess up the bounding-box. Bounding-box is the first step but
    ideally I would like to be able to test if a certain coordinate overlaps some
    part of an object in 3D space. Since a bounding-box does not actually
    correspond to the surface of an object unless it is a rectangle that can only
    be rotated by 90 degree increments. I would imagine that the more complex the
    geo the harder to calculate if a point overlaps? This object could grow into
    a number of comparison objects for collision detection, testing if objects
    occlude one and other etc..

3. Gemtablet working on OSX ?

Thanks all for your hard work and great contribution to a very powerful piece of
software.

Ben