[GEM-dev] off to new shores...

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Jun 19 19:56:36 CEST 2004

On Jun 19, 2004, at 3:17 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> it is also my understanding, that branching off a stable-release PLUS
> branching each development is a bit contradictory.
>
> as for having main vs. dev branches, it again leads to the discussion,
> who decides what goes from dev to main.
>
> what i do not want to have, is an organization as on pure-data's CVS,
> where there are thousands of branches and i do not know what is what.

Ok, this is very reasonable, and the only question is how to decide
what deserves a branch.  For example, I have some of the very basic
vertex_array stuff working with the current 0.90, so would the addition
of this to CVS require a branch?  It does add a few items to GemState
and gemhead, but apart from that it's only a set of additional objects.

> therefore branches should be short-living, that is: a branch is
> created, development is done, the branch is merged to the main trunk
> and vanishes.

Looking at the branch you already made for 'v0_90', it appears that you
have done opposite of what I thought you were talking about.  The
branch is the stable release, and the main trunk is still for
development?   So the answer to my question about branching for
vertex_arrays would be 'No', it goes in the main trunk.  Is this
correct?

> but of course, if your CVS setup cannot handle this, all discussion is
> void (but really, i cannot believe it)

I have the usual CVS command line tools at my disposal; however, I use
the integrated CVS features in Apple's IDE, which make browsing through
versions, comparing and committing changes available in the same window
as file editing.  I haven't found out how it deals with branches, and
it looks like they aren't even noted in the browsing and comparison
functions.

If the majority of new adds and commits will still be done in the main
trunk and only bugfixes and merges happen to the stable branch, then
this won't be a problem at all.

> and of course: each branching and merging should be properly announced
> to this list.

I think you are the only developer who can actually branch and merge in
the CVS repository right?  So there will have to be discussion before
any action if another developer wants to do this.

cgc