[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] Gem compile problems

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 26 16:38:56 CEST 2004

guenter geiger wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>(this would especially be useful, as i have noticed major problems with
>>libquicktime: a) arbitrarily freezes on 2.6-systems; b) wrong
>>build-configuration does not detect the plugin-path)
>

> I think it is not a good idea to work around bugs or problems in other
> packages. What should be fixed (or ported to other architectures in the
> case of libavifile) are the broken packages.
i also think that problems in other packages should not be "fixed" by
workarounds.
but this was not my intention;
it was more pragmatic: Gem is providing several ways to decode videos;
debian provides the libraries to do the actual decoding;
why should it be a bad idea to use these libraries if they are available
? what is the use of the libavifile-packages if using it as a dependency
is considered a bug ?

this should probably go to the debian-packaging-system: wouldn't it be a
great idea to have *optional* build-depends.

as for libquicktime i have submitted a bugreport...

mfg.a.sdr