[GEM-dev] vertex_array branch

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Aug 12 03:47:58 CEST 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 2:14 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>> Another idea would be to have more generic objects:
>> [vertex_scale color]  (or [vertex_mult])
>> [vertex_set vertex]
>> [vertex_blend texcoord]
>> [vertex_random normal]
>
> i like this idea.
> it is probably simplest to do (in terms of programming) and makes it
> quite clear what is going on (int terms of patching)

Let's go with this idea then.

There might be a need to have some objects that only work with a single
data type, which would raise some questions.  If I wrote an object that
only made sense for colors or texcoords then how would those be
distinguished?

> this and your half-joking idea leads to [pix_expr] and [vertex_expr].
> neat.

For the vertex side, it would probably be best to have predefined
'scripts' in the form of vertex shaders.  I think it might be possible
to create shaders in some of the high-end 3D apps like Maya now, and it
probably won't be too long before some lower end app makes shaders
accessible to most.  If we could figure out a way to 'compile' a patch
into a shader then that would be pretty amazing.  I have no idea how to
do it though.

cgc