[GEM-dev] CVS: checkins and notifications

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Aug 18 19:16:41 CEST 2004

Hi

I am on vacation right now, but I here's a quick response to the changes:

Quoting IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:

> 1a) "SIMD":
> 	i have tested it under linux and windows and it works (although i am a
> bit disapointed of the performance-gain; unfortunately i have no SSE2
> machine at hand so i haven't tried this yet); however, i have not tried
> to compile it under osX yet.

In my experience MMX is so poor that it's not even worth the effort.  Not only
is it only 64bits wide, it cannot do single cycle ops and well tuned scalar
code will come close or match it with a decent compiler.  SSE has C intrinsics
much like Altivec which would greatly speed development and aid readibility
about 1 billion percent - I know that VC++ and ICC work with them, but check
GCC as well.  Unless you can really tweak the hell out of the asm, it's better
to use the intrinsics anyway as the compiler will do a lot of the little
nicities for you.  It's pretty easy to write very bad assembly.

> 1b) "multiple_window": (there is also a TAG with this name, so beware!)
> 	this separates the functionality of [gemwin] (which has vanished) into
> 2 objects [gemcontrol] and [gemwindow], where [gemcontrol] is the
> interface to the rendering-engine (GemMan) and [gemwindow] handles the
> window-management.

This is a pretty huge change, and it should be a working branch or the objects
should be built as entirely separate objects.  It does break every patch and
version of GEM currently out there, which is a problem.

Overall, this is a good idea and the functionality is a welcome advancement, but
the direction of development needs some discussion.  I would suggest keeping
the gemwin object and just adding some arguments to it to create multiple
windows ([gemwin window1] to make a window called 'window1' or something).
[gemcontrol] isn't as bad idea, but it could be potentially confusing if one
object manages many windows at once.

cgc