[GEM-dev] vertex_array branch

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Aug 25 21:29:49 CEST 2004

Quoting IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>:

> so if no one objects within 5 minutes i will create a new module
> src/Vertex tomorrow.
> at least if no one objects until tomorrow.

Do it!  I dare you.

> i really think, that there is a potential for a lot of vertex_ objects.
>
> i also want to add [vertex_add] and [vertex_mul] for adding/multiplying
> 2 vertex arrays. (i have never seen higher maths on objects but
> a*(x^2)+x really looks cool for x:=venus.obj)

[vertex_add] would be same as [vertex_offset] and [vertex_scale] = [vertex_mul]
right?  I'm fine with the name changes since the add/mul is probably more
informative.

I made the object [vertex_combine] to try and blend between two arrays.  I never
got around to doing the interpolation for arrays of different sizes however.  I
think the easiest way is to have a float counter var that's a positive ratio
between the two arrays (like 3.33:1) and then coerce it back an int.  It's a
very crude way to do it, and it has to be scheduled in a way that the
processing ops don't stall waiting for the conversion.  I'm open to any ideas
about interpolation as long as they are fast. ;)

We should discuss the development of the vertex_stuff in more depth.  For
example, what are some ideas for vertex generation objects?  On the one hand, I
think vertex_model handles a whole lot of the old static Geos since it's pretty
easy to find a model of a sphere or cube, but way more possibilities exist.
Check this and tell me that it's not a completely bad-ass, must-have object:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/surfaces/supershape3d/

The OSX and Linux apps demonstrate what this is capable of doing.  I've sat for
hours just pressing the random generation buttons to see what comes out.  I
really need a trig lesson or three to fully understand what's going on with
that formula.

> IOhannes
>
> ps: somehow i feel like a nerd, who keeps screaming "i will create a
> directory" and nobody cares...

Hey, if you give fair warning and get no response then what more can you do?

cgc