[GEM-dev] some new code

r.leboite.pm at birdsinplane.com r.leboite.pm at birdsinplane.com
Wed Sep 15 17:06:35 CEST 2004

> > I am currently doing some stuff about OpenGL extensions and Vertex
> > Shaders
> > (Coming for Fragment Shaders). Some of you may be interrested. But on
> > one
> > hand i am not yet a developper too, and on a nother hand i dont know
> > what is
> > a branch :) and how to set it in cvs.
>
> hi Ronan,
>
> ...sounds great, but could you be a bit more specific?  I've also been
> working on extensions (specifically multitexture) and
> ARB_vertex_program...

Hi James,

Well the main extension i added is the possibility to render to a texture using
the extension WGL_ARB_RENDER_TEXTURE which works pretty well now.

I also coded some tests about Cg Vertex Programs. Those programs work quite
well but are not yet enough flexible to be commited.
I'm actually facing a difficulty that brings me to study more deeper the Gem
project architecture:

What i'd like to achieve is something like a Cg "wrapper" for Gem. And i've
thought that i had to instanciate Cg programs with names. This way, if i want
to add a new vertexProgram to my patch, i would create an object like the
following [GEMcgVertexProgram toto cgfilename]. Then if i want to set the value
of a parameter from anywhere in the patch i would set an object like
[GEMcgGLSetParameter1f toto parameterName parameterValue]. (i used pd_bind from
within the GEMcgVertexProgram class)

My object GEMcgVertexProgram just work very well, even with multiple objects
referencing the same Cg program. But i just cant set the parameter with
GEMcgGLSetParameter1f because i cant link to the program "toto" from it.

The Solution i think the best is to Create a new Class GEMCgProgram that will
be the base class to all my Cg wrapper Objects. But I really dont know how to
achieve that and i feel quite lost in the Gem project architecture.

Is there a class which is quite close to what i want to do. This way i could
set it as a "re"-starting point ?

I can also upload somewhere my sources and/or gem.dll and .pd files for
examples.

I just hope to be clear enough
Thanks
Ronan