[GEM-dev] some new code

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Sep 15 18:10:07 CEST 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 10:06 AM, r.leboite.pm at birdsinplane.com wrote:

> Well the main extension i added is the possibility to render to a
> texture using
> the extension WGL_ARB_RENDER_TEXTURE which works pretty well now.
>
> I also coded some tests about Cg Vertex Programs. Those programs work
> quite
> well but are not yet enough flexible to be commited.

These are interesting things you are working on; however, they are also
part of some core changes we have been planning for GEM.  Because of
this, I don't think either of your two developments should be committed
now.

Specifically, render-to-texture is part of the multiple windows and
targets, and I think we will look at pBuffers to help achieve this.  As
for shaders, I would prefer not to use Cg for two reasons: one it's not
part of ARB OpenGL, and not equally supported between platforms or
vendors.  Also, I think GLSL has potentially a superior architecture,
although it might take ages for it to even be implemented fully on all
three of GEM's target platforms.  Both of these projects are still
really in the planning stages, and various people are experimenting
with potential solutions.

You should become a developer since you are interested in working on
advanced features, and also seem to be working on Windows.  It would be
good to have someone to help out with the render targets and shading,
and you will get some help with figuring out GEM's internal
architecture.

cgc