[GEM-dev] some new code

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Sep 15 23:20:07 CEST 2004

On Sep 15, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Ronan Puce Muse wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> I am very interrested in getting involved in the project, and as you
> suggest
> it, help on undertanding Gem's internal architecture is quite
> "critical" for
> me, because the only structure graph i got was from the "gem for max"
> project page and this wasn't so educative as it's quite easy to build
> from
> any advanced IDE.

I have no idea how gem4max (or whatever it's called) corresponds to the
latest GEM, although I saw that he took some of the quicktime code I
wrote for it.

> I think that i'll continue to work on Cg though as i really need this
> at
> this moment. But if i can get a good Shader bunch of classes, i bet
> that it
> wont be very hard for me to port it to the official OpenGL shading
> language
> (tell me if i'm wrong).

I have no idea about the ease of porting Cg to GLSL, but the option to
use Cg as an addition to GEM might prove useful to some in the
meantime.  As Jamie points out, we are still waiting on Apple to fully
support GLSL on OSX, and that's only the first step.

It would be good for the developers to start discussing how the
addition of shaders will affect the overall structure of GEM from both
a code and user standpoint.  One of my primary concerns with GEM is
making the potentially complex interactions possible with vertex_arrays
(and shaders) not overwhelmingly complex to use and also present data
in a clear and concise manner.  Tom Schouten has been in touch about
his ideas on the former, which also may allow greater interoperability
between video and graphics libraries like GEM and PDP.

> I have also studied pBuffers, as i needed one to render to texture
> (even if
> i'm using the wgl extension). But the pbuffer I implemented is
> internal to
> the object i did. This is also due to the fact that i dont know much
> about
> the Gem's architecture.

In the discussions so far, the idea put forth is to have pbuffers as
user configurable render targets just like a display window.  I don't
know if any of the code to do this exists anywhere yet, but it was
somewhat agreed upon as a good path to take.

> Again, if someone using windows is interrested in looking what i did,
> i can
> provide sources, dll and pd files.

Please post them somewhere, and I'm sure we will all want to have a
look.

cgc