[GEM-dev] DV support uses deprecated header file

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue Oct 12 14:03:38 CEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:
> > libdv package. I had to disable libdv support.
>
> i know.
>
> what would be the best + simplest way to handle this ?
>
> include the dv1394.h with gem (i've seen some other apps that do it like
> this) ???
>
> i see that the dv1394.h is included in the kernel-source, however it
> does not get installed in /usr/include/.
> what is the clean way to handle this ??
>
> or do we have to re-write dv-support from scratch ?

The simplest way is to include the header, the cleanest way is
to rewrite DV support. Now that they are removing the interface
definition we do not know how long the library will have the bindings.

> > Otherwise I hope I have fixed the problem the Debian package had
> > with FTGL support.
> >

> is there any reason that configure *only* autodetects installed things ?
> i mean, is it generally bad style to enable/disable and with/without
> things via the configure ?
> or should we add this again to the new and cleaner script ?

There might be some need now and then to disable things (like the dv
support example showed). I do not think it is considered bad style, I just
had no use for it until now.

There are other things that are still missing in order to make the
configure.ac from the Debian package a general replacement, like
the /usr/local stuff and header detection, the -D__NEW__ (although
this should probably be set by default).

Guenter