[GEM-dev] DV support uses deprecated header file

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 12 16:36:42 CEST 2004

guenter geiger wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:
>
> The simplest way is to include the header, the cleanest way is
> to rewrite DV support. Now that they are removing the interface
> definition we do not know how long the library will have the bindings.

ok, i get it somehow:

dv1394.h does not define any interfaces to library-bindings.
it merely defines one or 2 structures and a number of ioctl()-commands.
since this is really an implementation detail of the kernel-driver, i
understand why it has been deprecated by libdv.

i have checked a version of videoDV4L into the CVS that uses the
header-file from the kernel. (some changes where necessary, as they have
changed the ioctl-commands from DV1394_ to DV1394_IOC_)
the videoDV4L.h therefore includes <ieee1394/dv1394.h>; so you have to
add /usr/src/linux/drivers to the include-path
is this the correct way to do it ???
or rather include <dv1394.h> and add /usr/src/linux/drivers/ieee1394 (or
whatever)

so we just have to force people to have kernel-headers installed.
i think we can assume, that most linux will have the current
kernel-headers in /usr/src/linux (?)

> There might be some need now and then to disable things (like the dv
> support example showed). I do not think it is considered bad style, I just
> had no use for it until now.

ok.
i sometimes need to disable things, just for testing...

mfg.asd.r