[GEM-dev] Mac osx

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Oct 12 18:42:01 CEST 2004

Hi Jason,

Even I am a little confused about how to install Gem when using a PD installer
(are you using a PD installer?)

The "normal" way to install gem is:

Copy the Gem.pd_darwin into /usr/local/lib/pd/extra
Seems OSX does not let you do this very well... I could do it in the terminal
with: (these are comments)

1. "cd ~/Desktop" 	(go to desktop folder, if that is where Gem.pd_darwin is)
2. "sudo cp Gem.pd_darwin /usr/local/lib/pd/extra" (copy file, type your passwd)
*3. "sudo pico "/Applications/Pure Data.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd.term"
(here take a break don't be afraid)
4. In pico hit "ctrl-w" and type "pd"
(you should see a line that has a bunch of XML stuff, but has "pd -rt; exit" or
something similar.)
5. change the pd command so that it reads: "pd -rt -lib Gem" and leave the ; and
exit as is.
6. ctrl-x to save

Try double clicking on the Pure Data application and see if it prints out
something about Gem being loaded. Note this does not include the help files!

If your not using the installer then you would copy Gem.pd_darwin into your
pd/extra folder. Then in terminal just type "pd -rt -lib Gem".

*Notes:
Is pd.command run or pd.term? It seems to be pd.term on all the machines I
tried, but then what does pd.command do? (adding flags in pd.command don't
change how pd is executed from the .app)

I've been coaching a few new PDers in installing gem on OSX and indeed it is
quite a pain. Eventually gem should be included in the installer, but right now
it is a real pain to add Gem. (you can't even copy the Gem.pd_darwin into
/usr/local/lib/pd/extra by dragging because OSX seems not to give even the admin
user the right to do this (/usr/local being system I suppose).

It would be cool if the "extra" folder was called "externals" and be in a folder
in applications next to the pd.app a pdrc config file in this same folder would
be nice for editor accessibility. (though there are still probably permission
issues!)

Depending on the version of the installer used it takes me still about 5min to
get Gem working. It really should only take 30s.

Ben