[GEM-dev] CPPExtern.h/.cpp question

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 19:04:13 CEST 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 5:21 PM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> James Tittle II wrote:
>
>> ...CPPExtern.h only defines up to CPPEXTERN_NEW_WITH_FOUR_ARGS, so do
>> just need to add some more macros?
>
> pd only allows you to set a maximum of 5 typechecked arguments. why
> gem goes
> only till 4, i don't know.
> however, i think it might be simpler to use CPPEXTERN_NEW_WITH_GIMME
> and do a
> "manual" type-checking.
>
> (otoh, it should be rather simple, to add another macro to CPPExtern.h)

ok, so I may be a little "dense" due to decompression from the flight,
but I need a bit more explanation of the differences between
CPPEXTERN_NEW_WITH_GIMME and *_WITH_ARGS:  what did you mean by
"manual" type-checking?  I've been looking at the different usages
throughout the other code, but it seems to be somewhat differently used
in each circumstance...

...If pd only allows 5 typechecked arguments, does that mean I can't
make a CPPEXTERN_NEW_WITH_SIX_ARGS?

...If I use the GIMME method, does that limit the number of inlets I
can deal with?  Fr'instance, for this current wrapper
"GEMglProgramEnvParameter4dARB", I'd like to have seperate inlets for
not only target and index, but also x, y, z, w:  after all, there is
another call "GEMglProgramEnvParameter4dvARB" that would accept target,
index, and a vector of x,y,z,w (and therefore only need 3 inlets)...I
ask this because it seems that some GIMME-based externs use a "params"
message, and I don't want to require non-vector accepting GL calls to
accept vectors...

thanx,
james