[GEM-dev] Compiling Vertex Array stuff under OSX

James Tittle II tigital at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 20:44:48 CEST 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 1:10 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to compile the vertex branch on OSX. I've simply added the
> src/vertex
> files to the project and compile when without errors. Upon loading Gem
> I get the
> following unresolved symbols:
>
> __ZN9GemVertex11setModifiedEv
> __ZN9GemVertexC2Ev
> __ZN9GemVertexD2Ev
> _glBindBufferARB
> _glBufferDataARB
> _glDeleteBuffersARB
> _glGenBuffersARB
>
> I'm using OSX on 10.3.2 (Because I tried getting Gem to work on a
> french 1GHz
> powerbook and I could not get pix_video to work, only sending a green
> texture.
> It works fine in other applications though.

ok, originally the vertex_array stuff was written with VAO in mind:
that is slow, so at the moment the vertex array stuff is hacked to use
VBO's (way faster), which aren't officially in OpenGL.framework
(someone screwed up at Apple)...however, there is a glVBOext.h that I
think is in cvs that provides the necessary defines to get the VBO
stuff working...

...unfortunately, I forget what the minimum OSX is that exposed the VBO
stuff in the driver:  aha, quick review of my mail says 10.3.4+...so I
highly suggest an update!  I'm currently using 10.3.5 with no problem,
but really am looking forward to 10.3.6 because it may solve some
nagging OpenGL problems...

...lastly, there is a Base/GemVertex.cpp that you also need...better to
just recheck out the cvs with the vertex_array tag...

> Also I can't get pix_film to load a animation compressed QT. It just
> send a
> green texture. QT opens it fine directly. These last two issues are
> based on the
> gem binary on taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc

...don't know what's going on here...?  Personally haven't tried any
animation compression in 10 years :-)  However it is quicktime
supported, so shouldn't be a big deal, unless it's just a huge data
rate...another thing to  consider is whether or not the hardware
supports yuv texturing, and that the movie is opened in YUV mode...

l8r,
jamie