[GEM-dev] [GEM] pix_coordinate in OS X

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 20 09:06:48 CEST 2004

Mirko Petrovich wrote:
> Thanks, that did the trick. One thing I didn't understand is what do you
> mean when you say "rectangle textures" ? And which textures can be
> repeated ?Is this documented somewhere ?

originally openGL only supported textures which sizes where power-of-2.
e.g.: you could texture an image with a size of 256x256 pixels; but when
you tried to texture an image that was 100x100 (or 320x240) this would
not work.

this limitation is very unpractical, especially when working with videos
(which tend to have dimensions like 320x240); therefore the
openGL-standard has been extended to support textures of any dimension:
these are called "rectangle textures" in openGL-speak.
unfortunately they do not perform exactly like the old 2^n-textures
("normalized" you call them); e.g. "repeat" does not work, only "clamp",
texture coordinates are completely different,...

documentation can be found in the openGL-standard ;-)
seriously, the help-patch for [pix_texture] mentions this limitation.

> Thanks again for your answer, and congratulations, gem works great in osx.

good to hear.

mfg.as.dr