[GEM-dev] [GEM] pix_coordinate in OS X

Mirko Petrovich prab at terra.cl
Wed Oct 20 10:40:49 CEST 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 4:06 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Mirko Petrovich wrote:
>> Thanks, that did the trick. One thing I didn't understand is what do
>> you mean when you say "rectangle textures" ? And which textures can
>> be repeated ?Is this documented somewhere ?
>
> originally openGL only supported textures which sizes where power-of-2.
> e.g.: you could texture an image with a size of 256x256 pixels; but
> when you tried to texture an image that was 100x100 (or 320x240) this
> would not work.
>
> this limitation is very unpractical, especially when working with
> videos (which tend to have dimensions like 320x240); therefore the
> openGL-standard has been extended to support textures of any
> dimension: these are called "rectangle textures" in openGL-speak.
> unfortunately they do not perform exactly like the old 2^n-textures
> ("normalized" you call them); e.g. "repeat" does not work, only
> "clamp", texture coordinates are completely different,...
>
> documentation can be found in the openGL-standard ;-)
> seriously, the help-patch for [pix_texture] mentions this limitation.

OK, now I understand, thanks for your explanation. But in Linux repeat
"works" for rectangle textures (I guess [pix_texture] resizes
automatically), and there's no difference with "mode" messages (there's
only mention of "quality" messages in help-patches, that's why I was
asking for documentation).

>> Thanks again for your answer, and congratulations, gem works great in
>> osx.
>
> good to hear.

well, it works great in Linux too ;-)

saludos from Chile