[GEM-dev] Re: GEM: pix_image reloading image already loaded

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Fri Oct 29 05:14:49 CEST 2004

On 04-10-28, at 20:41, chris clepper wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Etienne Desautels wrote:
>

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> I just replace my pix_image object with pix_film and it works. I also
>> send it a RGB colorspace message at loading time, this way PNGs are
>> showing fine. Without the RGB message, JPGs are showing fine but not
>> PNGs. Do you have any ideas why it works with JPGs and not PNGs?
>
> Quicktime will convert YUV to RGB automagically, but not the other way
> around.  pix_film defaults to YUV because it is the proper color-space
> for video and also quite a bit faster than RGB.  PNG images are RGB
> with lossless compression, while JPEG are YUV with lossy compression
> applied.

Oh! I didn't know that JPEG was in YUV. I was thinking that most image
format were in RGB. That probably also explain why JPEG are loaded
faster then PNG? Thanks for the explanation.

I just think about a question that I have for quite some time. I'm
using pix_video with a firewire webcam to do some motion
tracking/presence detection. I would like to adjust the settings of the
webcam (color balance, brightness, etc.) but when I send a dialog
message to pix_video, the normal QT dialog open and then pd freeze. I
have to hit ^-C to quit pd. Do you have any ideas on this ?

Etienne