[GEM-dev] pf/pdp/3dp in Gem

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Fri Nov 5 14:49:52 CET 2004

hi gemmers,

just talking with jamie here in bergen and it's pretty
clear to me how to write the bridge between libpdp and Gem.

practicly, for me it is the build system. i'd like to
add 5 objects. 3 of them are already in the pf/pd bridge.

* [gem.get <thing>] : forks off one gemstate object as pdp packet
* [gem.set <thing>] : inserts one pdp object in gem state
* [pdp <thing>] : generic pdp processors (functional maps)
* [3dp <thing] : 3d drawing objects (draw to current gl context)
* [pf <script>] : any pf script

the last 3 i have C code for and they don't depend on gem, but if
pf/pdp/3dp is running inside Gem they need to be included.

the first 2 need to be written from scratch as gem objects,
possibly just derived from GemBase.

i suggest someone helps me with setting this up, by adding
templates for the gem.get and gem.set objects in the source
tree and add them to the build process. the names are of
course open to discussion. anything sane and short.

the rest i need is just an init callback.
this callback will:
* initialize the forth and pdp memory manager
* create the pf/pdp/3dp pd objects

maybe it is best to keep this optional, since it introduces
a library dependency.

so, who is motivated to help me out here by adding the
templates? i don't have time to learn the build and init process.

cheers
tom