[GEM-dev] pf/pdp/3dp in Gem

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Tue Nov 23 13:02:56 CET 2004

> > so, who is motivated to help me out here by adding the
> > templates? i don't have time to learn the build and init process.
>
> shouldn't be too much of a hazzle, so (i guess) i volunteer..

thanks johannes!

> >* [gem.get <thing>] : forks off one gemstate object as pdp packet
> >* [gem.set <thing>] : inserts one pdp object in gem state
>

> > the names are of
> > course open to discussion. anything sane and short.
>
> i'd rather have "pdp" somewhere in the name, as [gem.set] and [gem.get]
> could be anything (not necessarily related to pure data packets)
>
> for me the most simple names i can think of right now are
> [gem_pdp] : gem->pdp (or probably [gem_3dp] ?)
> [pdp_gem] : pdp->gem

since it's really only 'get' and 'set' (just about exchainging data
with a gem render chain) i think this should be clear in the name.

the object qualify as 'gem chain objects' not pdp objects. so [pdp_xxx]
seems confusing.

> >the first 2 need to be written from scratch as gem objects,
> >possibly just derived from GemBase.
> >
> >i suggest someone helps me with setting this up, by adding
> >templates for the gem.get and gem.set objects in the source
> >tree and add them to the build process.
>
> so what exactly should these do (aka: what do you want me to make them do) ?
>
> how would a patch look like ?
>
> <snip>
> [gemhead]
> |
> [gem.get]
> |
> [pdp_noise]
> |
> [gem.set]
> |
> [pix_texture]
> |
> [square]
> </snip>

a getter would look like:

[gemhead]

[gem.get pixbuf]
|	       |
|              [pdp_gain 2.0]
|              |
|              [pdp_blur]
|              |
[gem.set pixbuf]

[pix_texture]

[square]

this would fork off the pixbuf as a pdp packet,
then process it using pdp_gain and pdp_blur, and
insert it back into gemstate.

> and the pdp packet would just hold (additionally) the data of the
> gem_list (?)
>
> and i guess, that [gem.get] should *not* output the gem_list anymore ?

i think it should, because the get/set objects are really renderchain
objects.