[GEM-dev] Re: multiple_window: the questions begin!

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 23:16:48 CET 2004

On Dec 1, 2004, at 4:37 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> All good reasons, what is the difference between a pbuffer and a
> texture? Part
> of the TOT project (of which pixelTANGO is a component) is corrective
> projection. Basically you calculate a 3D mesh to un-distort the image
> projected
> onto an irrefular surface. If we could render the window to a texture
> then we
> could apply this correction to the entire render window rather than
> only to the
> textures on objects.

...difference between pbuffer and texture isn't a whole lot...they're
both graphic card memory/VRAM resident;  pbuffers allow for floating
point pixels, plus they're supposed to key into new accelerations on
gpu's...basically, they're really the way to go for vertex/fragment
shader render passes...

...as far as corrective projection, I did something like that several
years ago with a theatre project:  it was a weirdly shaped screen, and
of course the projector was off angle...pretty neat how it worked
out...

jamie