[GEM-dev] Re: multiple_window: the questions begin!

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Dec 3 10:21:22 CET 2004

peter plessas wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> just wanna give my two cents since i just subscribed to gem-dev :)
i'll answer to give you some reply

> in respect to compatibility with older gem patches, one could add
> another outlet to [gemmouse] which would output the window number the
> mouse event happened in, so one could pack the coordinates and the
> window number into a list and [route] this list according to the window
> the mouse event happened in...
> (but for this to work, the extra outlet would have to be added at the
> left, rendering all compatibility options useless?!)

i think that [gemmouse] as it is, is not flexible enough.
of course we could add an outlet for a window id (which gives us the
problem about what is a window id ? settable by the user ? an automatic
number (like $0) ?)
and we could add an outlet for the scroll-wheel.
and markus has a trackball with 5 buttons + scroll wheel, so we add
another 2 outlets.
by now we have outlets (in this sequence) for: x y bt1 bt2 bt3 window
scroll bt4 bt5

honestly i think we should think about a flexible way how to handle it
in the future without burden us about how it was handled in the past.
and then (when we have found "the" solution) we should be able to easily
make a compatibility object for the old behaviour.

just my 0.2 cigarettes.

mfg.a.sdr