[GEM-dev] branches: SIMD & vertex-array going MAIN!

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 14 16:27:27 CET 2004

chris clepper wrote:

> chars anyway).  Also, an array width of 3 for normals is not valid
> according to the RedBook, so that is going to require truncation.
so what is then the valid array width for normals ?

> So my vote is that the array widths should go back to there natural
> sizes as the very minor and rare benefits of equal lengths outweigh the
> negatives.

i understand this, however i would like to see some numbers on how much
the increase of data really affects the performance.
i mean, it is clear that there is a lot of space for SIMD-optimization;
but what interests me is, how much it costs more to transfer 4 instead
of 3 floats from ram to the gfx-card.

i really don't stick to this interchangibility thing (although i like
the idea), but i would like to hear you say "on my machine using 4
floats as texture-coordinates eats half of the cpu" or something like
that before we fix this forever.

and i am not sure at all, whether we gain something (but memory, which
in turns decreases cpu-load) by using uchar instead of float for colors.
wouldn't most gfx-cards convert them back to floats ?

while pixes are the bridge to pdp, i guess vertex-arrays might be the
bridge to GridFlow.

mfg.a.sdr