[GEM-dev] branches: SIMD & vertex-array going MAIN!

Johannes M Zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 14 21:35:15 CET 2004

james tittle wrote:

> ...chris and I talked about this last week at length, and I also believe
> that we should not inflate the data to potentially allow flexibility...
>
> ...third, there are other arrays that haven't been implemented
> (SecondaryColor, Index, FogCoord, EdgeFlag):  I admit I don't know what
> SecondaryColor is really good for, but if we were to inflate each of
> these to 4 floats then we're really talking about bloat...

well, but probably the generic solution would be better for this, as we
could just use _any_ array and upload it as EdgeFlag (whatever that is)
so we would only need (say) 4 arrays to cover everything.

> ...in essence, I think that it'd be better to have an optimized pathway
> to deal with specific data, and let the user massage the data into the
> different formats on their own (or provide abstractions or objects that
> do this)...

might be good too; probably it would be ok to have several arrays of
different types (e.g. width-3, or uchar) and than let the user choose
which one is which.

> ...as far as numbers go, I can try to do some benchmarking next weekend...

great

mfg.as.dr