[GEM-dev] another feature request.

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 23 20:21:33 CET 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, B. Bogart wrote:

> Its probably not possible, but I would really love a fast gaussian
> blur as a pix_ object. convolved blur does not have the image quality
> that would be really nice. Is there something that is similar in
> quality as gaussian blur but less intensive?

There's a law of probability that says that as you repeat a convolution
product of Measures it will tend towards a gaussian (normal law) Measure
with some centre and some std-deviation. In particular, repeating a
uniform 1x3 blur will give something with zero centre (because of symmetry
of the 1x3 kernel) and a std-deviation almost proportional to square-root
of the number of compositions of the convolution. I think that this is the
key to a fast simili-gaussian blur.

Does that sound right?