[GEM-dev] More Feature Requests posted to Source-Forge

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Fri Jan 28 22:03:47 CET 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 1:27 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> I was just guessing as to certain "possible" blend modes since a
> pixelTANGO user asked me about it. (and its one of the few things that
> Gem will not do that aftereffects can (and shadows, but I'm not asking
> for that!).

...gem is not supposed to emulate aftereffects, and never will...it
will also probably never play be good for playing doom3, or designing
levels and models for it, or...

> I was not aware of "frame" is it in the gemwin help?? suprised I
> missed it. (duh!)

...yes, it is:  it's also been mentioned many times on this list...

> Ok so what do these blending modes actually do?
>
>> GL_                        ZERO                       ONE
>>            DST_COLOR                  SRC_COLOR
>> ONE_MINUS_DST_COLOR      ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
>> SRC_ALPHA
>> DST_ALPHA
>> ONE_MINUS_DST_ALPHA
>> ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
>> SRC_ALPHA_SATURATE
>> CONSTANT_COLOR
>> ONE_MINUS_CONSTANT_COLOR
>> CONSTANT_ALPHA
>> ONE_MINUS_CONSTANT_ALPHA
>
> Add, subtract, multiply could be pretty useful... there are the pix_
> objects for these operations but that is less flexible (texture only)
> and perhaps will end up as shaders in the future?
>
>> You can probably enable any of those modes listed above using the
>> gemGL wrapper objects.  That's the best use for those objects:
>> accessing really advanced features without coding a new object.
>
> I have still not had a chance to look at these, I'll take a look.

...I heartily recommend getting a copy of the opengl programmer's
guide:  the "red book"...GEM's largest untapped resource is the opengl
wrapper's:  you can freely play around with opengl without
re-compiling...of course, it is immense, so not everything has been
tested, but it won't bite...just remember that render order is
important...

> I just thought I'd put it on the map, but I'd much rather get support
> to load alpha channels from files, and that point-in-volume test.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to anser chris, did you see my vertex array
> requests on source-forge?

...if you really need a request, why not offer a bounty/reward?
Otherwise, fire up the compiler, because we all have immensely long
to-do lists...

jamie