[GEM-dev] Some hints for external on osx

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue Feb 1 22:06:12 CET 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 2:32 PM, Pierre Laborde wrote:

> By the way, as a workaround, I was thinking in compiling the whole GEM
> from the Xcode project file that comes with the GEM source. But I miss
> the GemLibs folder that is available only for NT and Linux. Where
> could I find GemLibs for OSX ?

You need to download and build them from source.  I think freetype2 and
FTGL are the ones required for text on OSX, but you can simply exclude
the objects that need them from your build.

> running "./pd  -lib Gem -lib pix_myblur" results in the following:
>
> dyld: ./pd Undefined symbols:
> __ZN11imageStruct5clearEv
> __ZN7GemBase11setModifiedEv
> __ZN7GemBase17obj_setupCallbackEP6_class
> __ZN7GemBase17realStopRenderingEv
> __ZN7GemBaseD2Ev
> __ZN9CPPExtern16setCPPObjectNameEPc
> __ZN9CPPExtern8m_holderE
> __ZN9GemPixObj10postrenderEP8GemState
> __ZN9GemPixObj12processImageER11imageStruct
> __ZN9GemPixObj14setPixModifiedEv
> __ZN9GemPixObj15processRGBImageER11imageStruct
> __ZN9GemPixObj17obj_setupCallbackEP6_class
> __ZN9GemPixObj6renderEP8GemState
> __ZN9GemPixObjC2Ev
> __ZTV9GemPixObj
> __ZnwmPvS_
> Trace/BPT trap

I don't have an exact answer, but it looks like your external didn't
link properly or maybe GEM was not loaded already.

Can you build your object as a regular external and not a lib?  I think
then GEM would already be loaded and the external would find the needed
base classes when loaded.  That's purely speculation though.

cgc