[GEM-dev] musings on multiple_window

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 2 09:46:07 CET 2005

james tittle wrote:
> heya,
>

> ...so, cgc and I chatted last nite, and I'm wondering if it's plausible

men, where do you do it ?

> to add another symbol to gemhead for gemman to manage...the priority
> system would still be used for rendering order, but the new symbol would
> be used to determine which output/glcontext the render would go to
> (kinda like pd's send/receive objects):  by default (ie. no extra
> symbol), output would go to the "main" gemwindow...if there is a symbol,
> then the output would go to the associated display output:  so we'd need
> to add a symbol to each gemoutput:
>
> [gembuffer offscreen1]:  this would be for pBuffer
> [gemwindow onscreen1]:  this would be for primary display
> [gemdv onscreen2]:  this would be a dv stream of the onscreen2 render
> [gemwindow onscreen2]:  this would be for 2nd monitor display

i would rather associate the "context" with the [gemcontrol] object.

> ...then the gemheads would be something like the following:
>
> [gemhead 43 offscreen1]:  this then renders to a pBuffer
> [gemhead -1 onscreen1]:  this renders to the primary display
> [gemhead -2 onscreen2]:  this renders to the 2nd monitor
>
> ...we'd then need the output [gembuffer offscreen1] to allow binding to
> texture for texturing on objects, which could then perhaps be rendered
> into another buffer, textured, then rendered into a scene for screen
> display...

that is exactly how i imagined it !

just one remark: the ordering of the context-name and the priority
should be arbitrary:
eg: [gemhead 10 offscreen]
[gemhead blur] (==[gemhead 50 blur])
[gemhead bibs 32]

and probably "main" (or rather "") is attached to all contexts, like

[gemcontrol] context ""
[gemcontrol offscreen] context "offscreen"
[gemcontrol ot] context "ot"

[gemhead] renders to "", "offscreen", "ot"
[gemhead ot] renders to "", "ot"

and do we want to be able to connect one [gemhead] to multiple explicit
contexts ?

like [gemhead here there everywhere] ?

> ...any obvious problems?

yes, timing.
i guess it would/could/should be possible to somehow handle
[gemcontrol]s at different rates, e.g. only render once a second into a
pbuffer (or even better: on demand!)

how do we handle this efficiently ? (esp. with respect to "time-based"
objects, like [pix_movie] in auto-mode or particle-systems)

mfg.as.dr