[GEM-dev] musings on multiple_window

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Feb 2 18:57:46 CET 2005

Hey Jamie,

I've not had a chance to play with your binary distro, but I'm certainly exited
about the prospect. Indeed I am also more interested in managing multiple
windows with different contents, rather than running multiple instances of Gem
to control two windows with different contents.

so [gemwindow onscreen1] would create a new window context with the symbol name
"onscreen1" then gemhead 1 "onscreen1" would render only to this nammed context?
I think this is a great solution in Gem, certainly quite intuitive.

(what do the negative render-priorities in your examples do?)

This functionality is really making me drool. :)

so would we also name each gemcontrol object to bind it to a particular window's
symbol? Would we use gemcontrol to say, colour the background colour of a
pbuffer, the way we colour the background of a window?

It would be nice to tell a gemhead to render on a particular context but also a
set of them [gemhead 1 onscreen1 onscreen2] but I would say this is probably not
needed, since I think most people would want to tell objects to render to some
specific window, not a group of them. I'm sure there is some great creative use
for having this feature though.

How does the timing work now with multiple-windows? Are they all locked into the
same framerate? The only reason I could see needing different frame-rates for
each window would be if you wanted to save CPU usage on your personal "preview"
window when rendering at 60fps on the second screen... Otherwise I think it
would be fine to lock all windows to the same framerate. (I could be
misunderstanding the timing issue here).

I'm going to download the test binary now...