[GEM-dev] "context" with [gemcontrol] or "gemoutput"

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 4 10:04:54 CET 2005

james tittle wrote:

> ...but one thing I'm not understanding:  when I have multiple
> [gemcontrol]'s, a "render on" message to one turns all of them on:  it
> seems like this should be seperated, right?  Especially if we're gonna
> have the ability to alter the frame rate...

right, it is just not yet implemented... (as it would have involved
further changes to GemMan, and i was just happy that at least i got
multiple windows rendering (more or less) the same....

now what comes to my mind:

should things like background-colour, viewpoint, etc be handled in the
GemOutput (as [gemwindow]) or in [gemcontrol] ?
i always thought they could be handled by GemOutput, but i am not so
sure about this anymore (i guess i put it into GemOutput since
[gemcontrol] was still static and i wanted to be able to change the
viewport on the different windows independently.

i (now) mean that for a clear separation, "context" (again probably
missusing this term) details should be handled within [gemcontrol].
but then we would need some way of synchronizing various independent
[gemcontrol]s (e.g. for cave-like applications), probably again by
associating the context with a symbolic id (the same as in [gemhead])

i guess this might make sense.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes

> hmm,