[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] gem renders a teapot with 2 heads!

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Feb 24 18:40:31 CET 2005

james tittle wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2005, at 5:33 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> currently only this format is supported, but i have started to write
>> loaders for other formats (like 3ds, and...) but haven't got too far
>> right now...
>

> ...good news:  I also have a "proposal"/working code for multiple
well really i stopped writing on it soon after i had posted my start at
the gem-dev... :-(
hopefully i'll find time again (and to fix the avi-player in windows,
and and)

> loaders...all I'm doing is opening the file, checking the extension,
> then calling the appropriate loader...simple enuff!  This much is
well i am not sure whether it is a good idea to depend on the extension.
(yes  i know that the whole redmond os is wrapped around that, but this
doesn't prove anything)

> working, I'm just getting around how to remove the other glm* stuff in a
> more abstract way...also, do we want all the loader code in one file, or
> seperate out into format specific files?

i thought of one (abstract) class that defines the data and the
render-method; and child-classes would then implement the readers  (aka:
open()-method)

i would then call each loader with the given filename and the first one
that reports that it supports it (even if this decision is only based on
looking at the extension) will get the job.

simple enuff...

the problem why i got stuck is, because i couldn't decide how to layout
the data (one big vertex-array for the whole model and references to
this pool for the submodels (like in OBJ), or arrays for each submodels
  (might be more general) or...); sounds ridiculous, but i quickly got
tired...

mfg..ad