[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] gem renders a teapot with 2 heads!

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Feb 24 20:35:42 CET 2005

james tittle wrote:

> ...it seems to be how many people do it:  there's also a check after
> opening the file to make sure that the first bytes are correct (ie.
> correct magic number)...

yes, i jsut wanted to point out, that if we have a modular thing, the
decision of which file a module can handle should be handled by itself
(as it knows best what it is able to do).
i don't think to do it the other way round: calling a special modules
just because we _think_ it can handle the file...

>> simple enuff...
>

> ...hehe...sounds like you thought about this before coding:  I'm usually
> coding before thinking!
but i often get stuck while thinking...

> ...I definitely see two different objects (or perhaps one that changes
> behavior based on a message setting):  one for the vertex-array stuff
> and the other for "normal" model loading...

yes the interface to pd should stay separated (as is now); but both
[vertex_model] and [model] should use the same model-loader code.

so my ModelLoader-class should have a render()-method (for displaying)
and some methods to extract the vertex-arrays (or whatever other arrays
are stored in the model)

mfg.ad.sr