[GEM-dev] OSX Compiled but not working

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Mon Mar 28 01:59:54 CEST 2005

hey Wesley,

I modified that project a couple times for vertex arrays and for this
spotlight thing so I may have messed something up. I don't recall the
setup.h files...

What OS are you running? 10.3.7? Totally up-to-date? Could these symbols
be stuff missing from an older system? Since Chris said the orb stuff
does not work in OSX then you can just remove those files that refer to it.

the Gem OSX developers use project builder (still?) rather then the
newer Xcode. If I knew how to deal with the linking I would have solved
it by now. I assume it should do it automatically when you include a
static lib in the frameworks.

A makefile to compile Gem from terminal would be really handy,
especially for package build systems. The reason why there is none is
that most users just want a binary on OSX, ie not linux savvy users.
Also because there are very few (what 5?) people who actually compile
Gem on OSX. I think it would be a great contribution and I can tell you
I sure would use the command line build!!!

Note that makefiles on OSX are different than on linux, so you would
need to know all the OSX weirdness with gcc and so on. ranlib(),
-frameworks etc.. headers and libs are treated differently on OSX than
other platforms. It *should* not be hard to make the compilation, but
then I don't think anyone has started doing it...

Anyhow try updating your machine (and dev-tools maybe??) and then get
rid of the orb stuff and see what happens. I did have a problem
compiling vertex-arrays I think, because my AGL was too old.

B.