[GEM-dev] media loading problem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 1 13:58:30 CEST 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Tim Blechmann wrote:

> hm ... both your suggestion imply hardware failures ... this is
> possible, but strange, since i have the same problem on 24 new
> computers, with exactly the same hardware ... and the problems take
> place on all the machines ...

Ok, then it's almost certainly not a hardware failure, unless it is
something big like the Pentium bug, which generated about 999.875 jokes
about it a decade ago... (and one more two seconds ago)

All the failures I described are either manufacturing problems or wear-off
problems, and not systematic design problems. *some* manufacturing
problems happen on a chain of computers, especially if bought all at once
from one source, but it's very rare.

Note that if you are installing an OS using a disk mirroring system, then
a problem in RAM in the master computer can cause file corruption upon OS
installation which is then propagated exactly to all computers. Been
there, done that (but on a much smaller scale).

   /  The Diagram is the Program (TM) ,--------------------------------}