[GEM-dev] GemPixUtil.h confusion

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 20:41:19 CEST 2005

heya,

...while doing some further testing on the pdp2gem bridge, i'm getting
confused by the rgba/bgra color channels!  In our cvs GemPixUtil.h we
have

/* RGBA */
#ifdef __APPLE__
const int chAlpha	= 0;
const int chRed	= 1;
const int chGreen	= 2;
const int chBlue	= 3;
#else
const int chRed	= 0;
const int chGreen	= 1;
const int chBlue	= 2;
const int chAlpha	= 3;
#endif

...unfortunately this doesn't work on osx with just plain BGR:  it
kinda works, but I feel that it's actually writing the blue channel to
the next pixel decoded!...this has made me realize that we actually
have no rgb/bgr-only mode for pix_film (in osx), which is probably just
a hope that no-one actually would think to use that after seeing the
speed gains with yuv processing...

...I've also tried:

/* RGBA */
#ifdef __APPLE__				//tigital
const int chAlpha	= 3;
const int chRed		= 2;
const int chGreen	= 1;
const int chBlue	= 0;
#else

...with no better results:  the bgra is now screwed up...

...so this make me wonder if we need to have seperate channel
designators for rgb and rgba?  Or some other solution?

hmmm,
jamie