[GEM-dev] import stable snapshots to pure-data CVS

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 20 01:52:27 CEST 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:04 PM, james tittle wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Currently there is no gem in the pure-data CVS AFAIK.  I think that
>> "externals/gem" would be a good location for all of the gem related
>> files.  So it would be like:
>>
>> externals/gem/Gem
>> externals/gem/GemLibs
>> externals/gem/whatever else is needed
>
> ...this is what confuses me:  are we supposed to put freetype 2 and
> ftgl up in source form, or binaries?  Similar situation with pdp
> (dependent on gsl, libjpeg, libquicktime, etc but some are optional),
> and I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how you'll get yves to assemble
> and maintain the dependencies for pidip!  And how are "optional"
> libraries dealt with?  Fr'instance in Gem on osx, we just use
> quicktime;  on linux, there's many possible methods for
> images/films...

I think we should put everything that is needed to build Gem in
externals/gem.  On another project that I work on, ewrt, this is how
its done.  They are using sources from all over the place, so they
import whatever version they deem stable.  Then you can make branches
to take changes to these imported sources so that those changes can be
submitted to the upstream developers.

As for source vs. binaries, I would put the stuff up there as source,
until its something that is quite hard to compile and has a lot of
non-standard dependencies.

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."

      - Martin Luther King, Jr.