[GEM-dev] Redundancy in PDP/Gridflow/Gem - was Re: [PD] gridflow for pd OS X(OT)

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon May 2 06:27:44 CEST 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> .
>
> The biggest remaining speed issue is because there is still an awful
> lot of useless memory-copying going on, which is going to disappear
> Real Soon Now. (but it's not trivial to fix)
>
> (There's actually an even bigger speed issue on Mac processors, but
> it's still a mystery to me.)

...me too :-\  But we'll see...I'm wondering if it's a "how floats are
dealt with differently on x86 vs ppc"-kinda thing, but haven't checked
it out much...

> What I will need help on now, are bridges between PDP and GridFlow,
> and between GEM and GridFlow.
>
> Who's willing to help ?

...uh, I've already started to work on a gridflow to gem imageStruct
thing, in a similar manner as pdp2gem...but nothing to get too excited
about yet...in part I think that the slowness of gridflow in osx atm
may be due to the way it's just drawing to the window instead of using
the faster path...using CGContextDrawImage() isn't normally used for
video redraws...

jamie