[GEM-dev] Redundancy in PDP/Gridflow/Gem - was Re: [PD] gridflow for pd OS X(OT)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat May 14 15:35:07 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, james tittle wrote:
> On May 2, 2005, at 12:12 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> (There's actually an even bigger speed issue on Mac processors, but it's
>> still a mystery to me.)
> ...me too :-\  But we'll see...I'm wondering if it's a "how floats are dealt
> with differently on x86 vs ppc"-kinda thing, but haven't checked it out
> much...

Huh? the problem happens even with integers. Floats are rarely used in
GridFlow. Most of the meat is done using int32, sometimes dropping down to
int16 and uint8 if I can. There is some support for float32, float64, but
I haven't much of a use for them yet.

> ...uh, I've already started to work on a gridflow to gem imageStruct
> thing, in a similar manner as pdp2gem...but nothing to get too excited
> about yet...in part I think that the slowness of gridflow in osx atm may
> be due to the way it's just drawing to the window instead of using the
> faster path...using CGContextDrawImage() isn't normally used for video
> redraws...

Have you looked into that?

  ,-o---------o---------o---------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
  `-o--------------o--------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |