[GEM-dev] OSX building: configure & make?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 17 14:46:11 CEST 2005

james tittle wrote:
> hello,
>
> ...after upgrading to 10.4, I figured it would be nice to update the
> GEM project so that it would be more easily compiled, and this would
> mean to have xcode call an "external build system", which we already
> have in configure and make...unfortunately, right outta the gates
> configure isn't recognising the platform:
>
> tiggity:~/puredataDev/Gem/src/gnu tigital$ ./configure --with-ftgl
> creating cache ./config.cache
> uname: illegal option -- -
> usage: uname [-amnprsv]
> uname: illegal option -- -
> usage: uname [-amnprsv]

oh, i thought "uname --machine" might be more readable (and also more
portable) than "uname -m"
so i can fix these 2 errors

> HEAD: /usr/include /usr/local/include ../../../GemLibs/
> LIBS: ../../../GemLibs/ /usr/local/lib /usr/local/src
> checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host  type;
> you must specify one

"./configure --host=darwin"
might do the trick

> tiggity:~/puredataDev/Gem/src/gnu tigital$
>
> ...and I know little to nothing about configure scripts...so, I  wonder
> if I shouldn't just make a specific "makefile.osx" and leave  that in
i think this is ok for a temporary solution.
on the long run the configure-script should be rewritten (upgraded to
autoconf>=2.56): which means configure.ac instead of configure.in and a
new vocabulary (which is why i haven't done it yet)

> gem/src/gnu?  If this is done, will it be able to detect new  files as
> they are added, or do we have to also go ahead and change  the makefile
> for each file added?

the magic is in the "makesource"-script which produces the
"Make.source"-files in the module-directories which are then fed into
the "Makefile"s.

so the automagic adding of new sources is independent of the
configure-script (although "configure" calls "makesource")

this reminds me, that configure produces one master makefile (in ./Gnu)
and several slave makefiles (in the various modules): how should we make
that on osX without having tons of makefile.osx's spread all over the
source-tree ? (of course there are tons of Makefile's spread over the
source-tree after the configure; but these are generated at compile time
instead of "hardcoded" into the source-distribution)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes