[GEM-dev] OSX building: configure & make?

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue May 17 17:35:54 CEST 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 10:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> well "configure" is generated from "configure.in" (autoconf<=2.13,
> deprecated) or "configure.ac" (autoconf>=2.53) (i am not entirely
> sure about the versions)

> no human being can read "configure" itself (it looks just like
> generated code)
>
> But, now I have and I'm getting:
>
>> tiggity:~/puredataDev/Gem/src/gnu tigital$ autoconf
>> aclocal.m4:37: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
>> autoconf/libs.m4:134: AC_CHECK_LIB is expanded from...
>> aclocal.m4:37: the top level
>> autom4te-2.59: /sw/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1
>> ...so do we need to update aclocal.m4 & acinclude.m4?
>>

> this seems to be the problem when using autoconf>=2.53 with the
> files that come with Gem...
>
> this is one of the major reasons i want to upgrade it to a recent
> version of autoconf.

...yep:  autoconf --version = 2.59 here...so, is this a big
undertaking, or...?  I'm really trying to keep moving forward,
because I still have some deadlines this week, and gem ain't running
for me atm...

>>> as for the frameworks, it would probably be best to stack them
>>> into  the CHECK_LIB-functions (like openGL and mesaGL are stacked)
>>>
>> ...sounds ok, but I think we can assume that all osx installs
>> have  opengl, quicktime and carbon :-)
>>

> yes, but i think we cannot take it for granted that the developer-
> versions (headers, static-libs) of these are installed (??)
>
> those should be checked,

...after writing that, I also thought that we should also consider
the crazy person who may try to compile pd/gem on the darwin distro,
without aqua...

l8r,
jamie