[GEM-dev] Re: [GEM-cvs] Gem/src/Gnu configure.in

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 24 10:32:29 CEST 2005

� wrote:

> FYI, I have rewritten the Gem build system for my debian packaging,
> a patch against 0.90 is attached. I haven't checked if it works with
> the CVS version, but  in general it should be a lot cleaner than the
well, it did not apply too cleanly against the CVS....

anyhow, after i managed to patch the tree, i have some questions:
- i get an error with PKG_CHECK_MODULE which i don't like very much (but
it seems to work)

- are options generally a bad style ("--without-ftgl") or are they
missing just because you didn't care ?
should we re-do them ? has the way they have been used been dirty (i am
not much of a autoconf-hacker) ??

- what about the "strange hacks" ? i can compile Gem against standard
debian-ffmpeg for quite some time (against the shared libs!), why do we
need such weird tests ?

- most important: is there a way to use "-config"-scripts with autoconf
? e.g. avifile comes with an "avifile-config"-script which gives you the
needed flags for compiler & linker: ffmpeg comes with one too;
i do think we should use these scripts (as they probably know best what
is needed)

- shouldn't the script fail when not finding hard dependencies (e.g.
openGL) ?

- is it good to calculate the compiled files on the fly ? i mean, this
is certainly ok for a packager who assumes, that all the files compile
fine; but during development process it is often convenient if i can
in/exclude files from being build. (ok that is a rather simple thing to fix)

- is there any good reason to not use libdv ? (i guess this is because
of the missing dv1394.h-file in both libdv4-dev and gem-0.90.0 ???

apart from that, it is surely cleaner (at least: shorter) than the old
script. and it compiled fine

mfg.a.dr