[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] GEM Linux and video codecs

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Fri Jun 10 06:31:30 CEST 2005

On 05-06-09, at 13:59, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Tim Blechmann wrote:
>> hi all ...
>>>
>>> correct.
>>> if you like to add libMPEG2-support you are welcome!
>> stupid question, but what about mplayer support instead of libMPEG2?
>> mplayer is able to play back about every file format ...
>
> hmm, you mean like mjpegtools ? letting mplayer write into a fifo and
> read that back ?
>
> the only problem i see is, how one would control the mplayer....
> (but i haven't looked closer)

Sébastien Roy from the TOT project (PixelTango, etc.) at SAT is using
this approach for his project (LightTwist). He's using a bit of PD but
it use mostly OpenSceneGraph for the 3D part and is own C code. But
he's using a shared buffer instead of a FIFO. A FIFO could be to slow
because all the decompress data have to be write and read from the
disk. With the shared buffer the decompress data is written and read in
the memory and he got really good results. But I don't know how he
control Mplayer ? I will ask.

Etienne