[GEM-dev] coverting gem-chain render commands to pd messages?

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Jun 21 16:28:55 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I was thinking about mirroring gem-chains across machines over the
network to sync them. Rather than having to create some system over OSC
or xlmrpc or similar that contains all the different parameters for a
particular chain it would be really handy to be able to have gem create
a description string of a gem-chain.

So there is an object in the gem-chain that converts all the objects in
the gem-chain above it into a PD list. something like "rotate 90 0 0,
translate -4 0 0, color 1 0.5 0 1, alpha" that describes the objects in
the chain as a list. This list could then be easily transported over the
network. At the receiver a second object takes this list and applies it
to its own gem-chain. Only two objects to sync two chains, and in theory
one could add objects in the chain on the sending machine and they would
automatically get updated in the receiver without re-opening the patch.

Also you could use the receiver object (from message to gem commands)
with something like pyext to use python to script gem commands for a
chain without manual patching.

Anyhow I'm just thinking aloud.

Did anyone miss my proposal for the "clear" function for gemwin? Should
I put it in the feature requests on source-forge?

Thanks.

b>